After 110 league games and four semi-finals, 295 goals, 87,811 passes and 7307 tackles later 2020-21 season of the Indian Super League has finally reached its culmination point. On Saturday, March 13, Mumbai City FC and ATK Mohun Bagan will face each other for the ISL Trophy. For the most part of the season, these two teams have been a class apart, they have shared the top spot between them.
ATK Mohun Bagan or the erstwhile ATK was the most successful club in the history of the ISL with three titles. Ahead of this season, they joined hands with the legendary Kolkata club Mohun Bagan and became a force to reckon with throughout the season. Among their ranks, they have the goalkeeper with the most clean sheets, Arindam Bhattacharja and the league’s joint top scorer Roy Krishna. Across the park too they have game-changers in the form of Sandesh Jhingan, David Williams, Marcelinho, Edu Garcia to name a few.
Mumbai City FC on the other hand, after undergoing the City Football Group revolution, booked their maiden entry to the final following a nervy penalty shootout against FC Goa in the semi-final. However, the Islanders head into the final with full confidence having completed a league double over their opponents. They boast an enviable line-up of exciting Indian and foreign players and a coach who believes in playing eye-catching, attacking football. Both the teams come into the final with identical records, 12 wins and just 4 defeats in the league stage.
Here are a few players to look out for in the Final:
- Roy Krishna: Roy Krishna’s goals and physical presence has been immense for ATK Mohun Bagan. He is the joint-highest goal-scorer in the league with 14 goals and the Fijian has a knack of scoring crucial goals. His seven assists is the joint-second-most this season, he assisted all three goals that were scored by ATK Mohun Bagan in their Semi-final 2 clash against NorthEast United FC.
- Hugo Boumous: Creator in-chief of Mumbai City FC has mesmerised the Islanders ever since joining from FC Goa. He has scored thrice, including once in the semi-final, and will be eager to make a telling contribution to his side’s fortunes in the final. He is also MCFC’s highest assist-maker this season.
- Amrinder Singh: Amrinder Singh has been a rock for Mumbai City FC all season. He is only behind his ATKMB counterpart in the race for the golden glove with both of them registering 10 clean sheets to their name.
- Mourtada Fall: Mourtada Fall has not only been a huge presence for Mumbai City FC at the back but has also pitched in brilliantly with the goals. He is the league highest-scoring defender having found the back of the net four times.
- Ahmed Jahouh: Ahmed Jahouh’s pin-point crosses and free-kicks have led to a lot of Mumbai City FC goals. No Mumbai City FC player has made more passes (1413) and tackles (165) than Jahouh.
- Manvir Singh: It has been a breakthrough season for this Indian forward of some sorts. He has been involved in as many as nine goal contributions this season with six goals and three assists to his name. In his 15 starts and 22 appearances for the Kolkata-based outfit, Manvir is now the second-highest Indian goalscorer this season, just two goals behind Bengaluru FC’s Sunil Chhetri.