Japan's Kei Nishikori Pulls Out of New ATP Cup Due to Elbow Injury
Kei Nishikori will not take part in the inaugural ATP Cup as he still recovers from his elbow injury.
Japanese star Kei Nishikori pulled out of the inaugural ATP Cup Monday as he continues to struggle with an elbow injury that has kept him out since the US Open.
The former world number four, who has slipped to 13, said he was disappointed not to be representing his country in Perth at the team event starting on January 3.
"Today, together with my team, we have made this decision as I am still not 100 percent ready to compete at the highest level," he said in a statement.
Nishikori's elbow needed surgery in October and it is unclear whether he will be fit for the Australian Open when the first Grand Slam of the year begins at Melbourne Park on January 20.
Yoshihito Nishioka will replace him as the top-ranked player in Japan's ATP Cup team.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- There Were Supposed to be no Updates For Windows 7, But Microsoft Will Fix This Bug
- There is a Mysterious Structure in Antarctica And Some Think It’s a Massive Building
- 'Loki' Tom Hiddleston Says Prep for Disney+ Series is Going Really Well, Watch Video
- Tata Motors to Launch Nexon Electric SUV in India Today: Watch it Live Here [Video]
- This Compilation of Kobe Bryant and His Daughter Gianna's On-Court Moments Has Left Fans in Tears