Joshua Cheptegei Sets New 10km Road Record for 2019 Treble
Joshua Cheptegei set a new 10km road world record with a time of 26 minutes 38 seconds.
Joshua Cheptegei (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Valencia: Uganda's Joshua Cheptegei set a new 10km road world record in Valencia on Sunday, closing out his season in style by eclipsing the previous benchmark set by Kenyan Leonard Komon.
The current 10,000m world champion, who won the IAAF World Cross Championships earlier this year in Denmark, clocked 26 minutes 38 seconds, improving Komon's 2010 mark by six seconds, at the Valencia Trinidad Alfonso.
"What a year it has been. I can't believe it," the 23-year-old said after completing the memorable 2019 hat-trick.
"I knew that Valencia was going to be a really fast course, one of the fastest in the world. So to get to achieve what we came here for is something really special.
"This year has made me so happy."
Cheptegei reached the halfway mark in 13:23 and the world record appeared within his grasps when he reached eight km in 21:37.
He covered the final kilometre in 2:45.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: When I Met Rashami She Was On Road With No Money, Says Arhaan Khan
- I-League 2019-20: Srinagar Airport 'Inoperative', Real Kashmir FC's Next 2 Games Cancelled
- Sanjay Kapoor Shares Throwback Picture on His 21st Wedding Anniversary with Maheep
- Remember the Viral Hindu-Muslim Same-Sex Couple? Here's How They Fought 'TikTok's Homophobia'
- Walmart Apologises for Putting up Christmas Sweaters Featuring Santa Doing Cocaine