Kei Nishikori holds off Nick Kyrgios to advance in Shanghai Masters
Nishikori overcame a stiff challenge from an emotional Nick Kyrgios to advance to the third round of the Shanghai Masters with a 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 win on Wednesday.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Shanghai: Kei Nishikori overcame a stiff challenge from an emotional Nick Kyrgios to advance to the third round of the Shanghai Masters with a 1-6, 6-4, 6-4 win on Wednesday.
After winning the first set in 30 minutes, Kyrgios began to unravel at the end of the second set when he smacked a ball in frustration toward the baseline, causing a line judge to bend to avoid being hit.
The Australian was assessed a code violation and dropped his serve at love, losing the set. Kyrgios then saved three match points in the third set before Nishikori finally closed it out.
Kyrgios was fined $1,500 for an "audible obscenity" in his first-round match in Shanghai. He faces suspension from the ATP tour if he reaches $5,000 in fines before February.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Amazon Great Indian Sale: Buy This Samsung 55-inch 4K TV For as Low As Rs 29500
- Street Dancer 3D: Shraddha Kapoor Gets This Special Gift from Varun Dhawan
- Test, ODI Squads for New Zealand Tour Only After Clarity on Hardik Pandya's Fitness
- 'Standing is Hard': Jared Kushner's Time Magazine Cover Inspires Meme Fest on Twitter
- Cat Fight: UK Couple Wins Rs 18 Lakh Court Case to Stop Neighbour from Feeding Pet Feline