Kei Nishikori Replaces Injured Del Potro at ATP Finals
Kei Nishikori will compete in the ATP Finals in London following the withdrawal of Juan Martin del Potro due to a right knee injury.
A file photo of Kei Nishikori. (Image: AP)
London: Kei Nishikori will compete in the ATP Finals in London following the withdrawal of Juan Martin del Potro due to a right knee injury.
The Japanese player joins Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer, Alexander Zverev, Kevin Anderson, Marin Cilic and Dominic Thiem at the elite eight-player event, which starts on November 11.
Del Potro, who reached a career-high ranking of number three earlier this season, injured his knee while competing at the Shanghai Masters last month.
"It's frustrating for me not to be able to compete in London," said Del Potro.
"It's a very special tournament and I've tried everything possible to get my knee better. The rehabilitation is making good progress but I need more time."
Nishikori, 28, will be making his fourth appearance at the season finale, having reached the semi-finals in 2014 and 2016.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Sharks, Tuna and Other Large Fish May Soon Be Extinct As The Ocean Runs Out of Oxygen
- Gal Gadot Rides Lightning in Wonder Woman 1984 Teaser
- Sania Mirza's Sister Anam Feels Grateful, Shares Snaps of Her Bridal Shower on Social Media
- Remember the Viral Hindu-Muslim Same-Sex Couple? Here's How They Fought 'TikTok's Homophobia'
- Star Rated: NASA To Start a 'Robot Hotel' Outside the International Space Station