Lionel Messi Statue 'Decapitated' in Argentina
Vandals in Buenos Aires destroyed a statue of Argentine superstar Lionel Messi, leaving the sculpture of the five-time Ballon d’Or winner without its head or torso on Tuesday.
Photo Credit: Getty Images
Buenos Aires: Vandals in Buenos Aires destroyed a statue of Argentine superstar Lionel Messi, leaving the sculpture of the five-time Ballon d’Or winner without its head or torso on Tuesday.
“The statue of Lionel Messi fell victim to an act of vandalism that left it without its top half,” the Buenos Aires city government said in a statement.
The 29-year-old Messi — who soon came out of retirement again — has a love-hate relationship with Argentine football fans, many of whom accuse him of failing to replicate his brilliant Barcelona form for his country.
The monument is far from the first to be targeted in the area with that of former US Open champion Gabriela Sabatini stripped of its racquet not long ago.
Tributes to Messi as well as the likes of basketball star Manu Ginobili, four-time tennis Grand Slam winner Guillermo Vilas and Formula One great Juan Manuel Fangio are all located along the Buenos Aires ‘walk of fame’.
Catch the biggest newsmakers and the biggest newsbreaks on CNN-News18, the only news destination. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 paise per month. Contact your cable/DTH operator now!
*Rental/capacity fee of Rs. 130/- as charged by cable/DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Third Generation Suzuki Hayabusa Superbike Rendered, Gets Sleeker GSX Inspired Looks
- Need to Focus on Alternative Fuels: Union Minister Nitin Gadkari
- So Proud of You My Love: Anushka Sharma Cheers For Virat and Team After India Registers ODI Series Win in Australia
- Secret to Male Sexual Stamina is Veggies? PETA's New Ad on 'Toxic Masculinity' is a Total Facepalm
- Delhi Bride Gets Shot During Ceremony, Returns From Hospital To Continue Wedding Rituals
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s