Madrid Open: Novak Djokovic Enters Semis After Kei Nishikori Withdrawal
Novak Djokovic moved into the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters on Friday without hitting a ball as Kei Nishikori withdrew citing the recurrence of a wrist injury, tournament organisers said.
Novak Djokovic. (Getty Images)
Madrid: Novak Djokovic moved into the semi-finals of the Madrid Masters on Friday without hitting a ball as Kei Nishikori withdrew citing the recurrence of a wrist injury, tournament organisers said.
The world number eight missed the Barcelona Open late last month due to the injury.
"I will plan to play Rome, but we'll see." said the Japanese.
"I cannot promise to play or pull out right now.
"(The) French is more important."
Djokovic will either renew his rivalry with Rafael Nadal or face Belgium's David Goffin in the last four on Saturday.
In the Women's Madrid Open defending champion Simona Halep cruised back into the final for the third time in four years with a 6-2, 6-3 over Latvia's Anastasija Sevastova.
Sevastova hinted at a fightback early in the second as she got out to a 3-0 lead.
But Halep, who is also into the semi-finals of the women's doubles with compatriot Irina-Camelia Begu, showed no signs of lacking in energy as she bounced back in emphatic fashion to win the last six games for the loss of just 14 points.
Halep with face on form Frenchwoman Kristina Mladenovic or Svetlana Kuznetsova in Saturday's final.
Recommended For You
- Neha Kakkar Shares Emotional Posts After Break-up with Himansh Kohli, Says I Gave Away Everything
- Why Does Aquaman Need Bodyguards? Twitter Has a Laugh After Digging up Old Photo of Jason Momoa
- Microsoft Surface Go is Coming Soon to India, Will be Available Exclusively on Flipkart
- PUBG Vikendi Snow Map to be Released on 20 December 2018: Watch Video
- Tech And Auto Awards 2018: Motorcycle Of The Year
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s