Malaysia Open: Ajay Jayaram Beats Viktor Axelsen to Enter Quarters
Indian shuttler Ajay Jayaram defeated Viktor Axelsen of Denmark 9-21, 21-14, 21-19 to move into the men's singles quarter-finals of the Malaysia Open Superseries here on Thursday.
Ajay Jayaram. (Image credit: Getty Images)
Kuching (Malaysia): Indian shuttler Ajay Jayaram defeated Viktor Axelsen of Denmark 9-21, 21-14, 21-19 to move into the men's singles quarter-finals of the Malaysia Open Superseries here on Thursday.
The match which lasted around 44 minutes at the Stadium Perpaduan - 3 here, saw a fightback from the Indian shuttler after dropping the opening game 9-11.
But Jayaram gave a much better display in the second and third games to settle the issue.
In the first game, it was a neck and neck competition but soon Axelsen took complete control of the opening game with some attacking shots.
But the second game saw a great fightback from the Indian shuttler to bag the game 21-14.
Continuing his dominance, Jayaram hit some great shots and showed swift court movements in the decider game. He maintained his 11-8 lead in the mid-game break and then prevailed over the fourth seed 21-19 to cause a massive upset.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Old Video of Kobe Bryant Praising Daughter Gianna's Love for Basketball Will Leave You Teary-Eyed
- 'Kya Be G***u': Martin Guptill Abusing Chahal on Live Television Leaves Rohit Sharma and Fans in Splits
- #RIPMamba: From Trump to Obama, Fans Mourn Basketball Legend Kobe Bryant's Death
- Alia Bhatt Sends Kangana Ranaut Flowers for Her Padma Shri Honour
- Republic Day 2020: 2,471 People Take 'Plank Challenge' In Mumbai, Create Guinness World Record