Maria Sharapova Gets China Open Wildcard
Maria Sharapova has accepted an invitation to make her seventh appearance at the China Open in Beijing.
Maria Sharapova. (Getty Images)
Paris: Maria Sharapova has accepted an invitation to make her seventh appearance at the China Open in Beijing.
The five-time Grand Slam champion missed Wimbledon and the entire grasscourt season with a thigh injury, then was forced to withdraw from her comeback tournament in Stanford with an arm injury last week.
The Russian has still only played four tournaments since returning in April from a 15-month doping ban for the use of meldonium.
"I'm very happy to announce that I will return to Beijing and play the China Open this October," the 30-year-old said in a statement. "This is especially exciting as it will be my first tournament in Asia this year!"
Wimbledon champion Garbine Muguruza, Caroline Wozniacki, Venus Williams and home favourites Zhang Shuai and Peng Shuai will also take part in the Beijing event, which runs from September 24 to October 8.
Recommended For You
- With Thor-Love and Thunder Announced, Here's How Jane Foster Becomes Worthy to Wield Mjolnir
- Prabhas Expresses Happiness on Chandrayaan-2 Launch, Talks About 'Baahubali' Connection
- ISRO's 'Akshay Kumar' Fan Moment is Adorable but the List is Incomplete Without Jaadu
- Jio Effect: Vodafone Introduces Rs 205 and Rs 225 Prepaid Recharge Plans - Here Are The Details
- Xiaomi Redmi K20, K20 Pro go on Sale Today: Price, Launch Offers and More