Mourinho Recalls Smalling and Lindelof For Basel Game
Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof return to the starting line up in the absence of Eric Bailly and Phil Jones
Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho. (AP Image)
Chris Smalling and Victor Lindelof will start at the heart of Manchester United's defence when they host FC Basel on their UEFA Champions League return on Tuesday, manager Jose Mourinho has said.
Central defenders Eric Bailly and Phil Jones, who have started all four of United's Premier League games so far, are serving UEFA bans heading into the European campaign.
The duo helped United keep three consecutive clean sheets in the Premier League before their perfect start to the season ended with a 2-2 draw at Stoke City on Saturday.
"He's (Jones) playing well for us," Mourinho told reporters.
"He's probably tired with two consecutive matches with the national team so it's good that on Tuesday he gets his rest and it's an opportunity for Smalling and Lindelof to play the Champions League match."
Smalling and Lindelof, United's close season signing from Benfica, will pair up for the first time since United's 2-1 defeat to Real Madrid in the UEFA Super Cup last month.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Lata Mangeshkar is Stable and Getting Better, Don’t react to Rumours: Spokesperson
- Avantika Malik Shares Cryptic Post, Talks About 'Ideal Love'
- Jasmin Bhasin to Co-star with Nia Sharma in Ekta Kapoor's Naagin 4, Here's Her First Look
- Very Few World Class Bowlers in Test Cricket Now: Sachin Tendulkar
- Photoshopped Image of Cricketer Smriti Mandhana with Lipstick and Fairer Skin Causes Outrage