Take the pledge to vote

For a better tommorow#AajSawaroApnaKal
  • I agree to receive emails from News18

  • I promise to vote in this year's elections no matter what the odds are.
  • Please check above checkbox.

    SUBMIT

Thank you for
taking the pledge

Vote responsibly as each vote counts
and makes a diffrence

Disclaimer:

Issued in public interest by HDFC Life. HDFC Life Insurance Company Limited (Formerly HDFC Standard Life Insurance Company Limited) (“HDFC Life”). CIN: L65110MH2000PLC128245, IRDAI Reg. No. 101 . The name/letters "HDFC" in the name/logo of the company belongs to Housing Development Finance Corporation Limited ("HDFC Limited") and is used by HDFC Life under an agreement entered into with HDFC Limited. ARN EU/04/19/13618
LIVE TV DownloadNews18 App
News18 English
Powered by cricketnext logo
News18 » Sports
1-min read

Nick Kyrgios Banned for Shanghai Tantrums

Kyrgios also clashed with a spectator before being booed off the court. He was fined $16,500 by the ATP on Thursday.

Reuters

Updated:October 17, 2016, 3:09 PM IST
facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp
Nick Kyrgios Banned for Shanghai Tantrums
Nick Kyrgios. (Picture Credit: Getty Images)

Tennis 'bad boy' Nick Kyrgios has been banned for eight tournament weeks for his conduct during his defeat at the Shanghai Masters last week, the governing body for men's tennis (ATP) said on Monday.

"The suspension will be reduced to three tournament weeks upon agreement that the player enters a plan of care under the direction of a sports psychologist." the ATP said in a statement.

Kyrgios has also been slapped with an additional $25,000 fine for "conduct contrary to the integrity of the game", it added.

The talented yet temperamental Australian was beaten 6-3 6-1 by Mischa Zverev in a second-round match in which he put in a series of half-hearted serves and appeared to be walking off court before the unseeded German had returned the ball to him.

Kyrgios also clashed with a spectator before being booed off the court. He was fined $16,500 by the ATP on Thursday.

The 21-year-old released a statement on Monday apologising for his behaviour.

"Following the ATP's decision today I would like to take this opportunity to apologise again for the circumstances in Shanghai," he said.

"I do understand and respect the decision by the ATP and I will use this time off to improve on and off the court. I am truly sorry and look forward to returning in 2017."

Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.

| Edited by: Amit Kumar
Read full article
Next Story
Next Story

facebookTwitter Pocket whatsapp

Live TV

Countdown To Elections Results
To Assembly Elections 2018 Results