Pablo Carreno Busta Wins First ATP Title in Over Two Years at Chengdu
Chengdu Open: Spain's Pablo Carreno Busta beat Kazakhstan's Alexander Bublik to win the title.
Pablo Carreno Busta won his fourth career ATP title in China. (Photo Credit: @ATP_Tour)
Chengdu: Pablo Carreno Busta claimed his first ATP title in more than two years after outlasting Kazakhstan's Alexander Bublik to win the Chengdu Open Sunday.
The 28-year-old Spaniard collapsed to his knees after prevailing in just over two gruelling hours, 6-7 (5/7), 6-4, 7-6 (7/3).
The world-ranked 63's last title on the ATP Tour came at Portugal's Estoril in May 2017.
The triumph in China was his fourth career crown and comes after Carreno Busta struggled with a shoulder injury earlier this year.
"The surface was fast but I was very good with my serve during all my matches and I think that was the key to me being the winner of the tournament," he said.
"This year has been quite tough for me because of injuries at the beginning of the year.
"It's really tough when you cannot play and cannot enjoy this sport.
"But I just tried to continue working hard because I know when you work and you do as much as possible, normally you will get the prize."
Bublik, 22, ranked 71st, had been chasing a maiden ATP title.
He stunned fourth seed Grigor Dimitrov in the quarter-finals.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- PUBG Mobile: Erangel 2.0 Arriving in December, Glass Windows and New Items Leaked
- Nach Baliye 9: Shraddha Arya Says Judge Raveena Tandon wasn't Concentrating on Her Performance
- Disha Patani Shares Insta Story Featuring Tiger Shroff, Captions it 'Bhai Bhai'
- Sanya Malhotra Grooves to Ghungroo from War, Sets Dance Floor and Social Media on Fire
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Rs 222 Plan Vs. Airtel Rs 249 And Vodafone Rs 229 Recharge