Paris Masters: Rafael Nadal Withdraws in Last Moment, Denis Shapovalov Faces Novak Djokovic in Final
Paris Masters: Rafael Nadal withdrew from the semi-final against Denis Shapovalov leaving the Canadian to face Novak Djokovic for title.
File photo of Rafael Nadal (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Paris: Rafael Nadal pulled out of the Paris Masters through injury just minutes before the scheduled start of his semi-final against Denis Shapovalov on Saturday, leaving the Canadian to play Novak Djokovic in the final.
Second seed Nadal could have secured the year-end world number one ranking by winning the Bercy title this week.
Djokovic had beaten Grigor Dimitrov 7-6 (5), 6-4 in the first semi-final, but with an expectant crowd waiting in their seats for the second last-four match, it was announced that Nadal was out of the tournament.
The 19-time Grand Slam champion will take over from Djokovic at the top of the world rankings next week, despite missing out on the chance to win a maiden title at Bercy.
Four-time champion Djokovic will take on 20-year-old Shapovalov on Sunday.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Australia's Emily Smith Suspended for Posting Team News on Instagram
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro Review: A Lot of Style And Even More Substance
- Christian Bale Opens-up on Why There Wasn't a 4th Dark Knight Film by Christopher Nolan
- Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor's New Good Newwz Poster Unveiled Ahead of Trailer Release
- Dad Details How The Noise App on Apple Watch Helped His Son With Autism