Ponnappa-Rankireddy Enter Mixed Doubles Main Draw of China Open
The mixed doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa qualified for the main draw of the China Open Superseries Premier event after two fighting victories in the qualifying
A file image of Ashwini Ponnappa. (Getty Images)
Fuzhou (China): The mixed doubles pair of Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Ashwini Ponnappa qualified for the main draw of the China Open Superseries Premier event after two fighting victories in the qualifying, here on Tuesday.
Ponnappa and Rankireddy got past Chinese Taipei's Lee Jhe-Huei and Wu Ti Jung 24-22 21-7 before edging out the Danish combine of Niclas Nohr and Sara Thygesen 21-16, 19-21, 22-20. The Indians face another Danish duo, Mathias Christiansen and Christinna Pedersen, in the first round of the main draw on Wednesday.
The leading Indian players, including Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu, will also be in action. World number two Kidambi Srikanth pulled out of the tournament with a muscle strain. "I am pulling out of China Open. It is a muscle strain and doctor advised me to take rest for one week. It happened in the Nationals but because I kept playing it got a little worse. But I should be okay in a week," Srikanth had said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13 Day 19 Written Update: Rashami Desai Reveals She had Issues with Sidharth Shukla
- Rafael Nadal Gets Married to His Partner of 14 Years Xisco Perello
- Woman Wears Clothes Weighing 2.5 Kilo to Avoid Paying Excess Baggage Fee at Airport
- Sorry Pixel 4 But iPhone Users Can Get Free Unlimited Storage on Google Photos
- TRAI to Decide on Jio, Airtel And Vodafone Battle For How Long Your Phone Should Ring