PV Sindhu, Kidambi Srikanth Enter China Open Quarterfinals
PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth registered hard fought victories to enter the quarterfinals of their respective events at the China Open on Thursday.
File Image of PV Sindhu (Getty Images)
Changzhou: PV Sindhu and Kidambi Srikanth registered hard fought victories to enter the quarterfinals of their respective events at the China Open on Thursday.
Third seed Sindhu bounced back after losing a close first game to record a 21-23 21-13 21-18 win in her second round women's singles match against Thailand's Busanan Ongbamrungphan.
Srikanth's men's singles match against Suppanyu Avihingsanon too went down to the wire. The seventh seeded Indian won the first game comfortably but the Thai player levelled the match.
The decider could have gone either way but Srikanth held his nerve to advance in the competition with a 21-12 15-21 24-22 win.
However, India's campaign ended in the doubles and mixed doubles events. Ashwini Ponnappa and Satwiksairaj Rankireddy went down 14-21 11-21 against top seeds from China, Siwei Zheng and Huang Yaqiong in the round of 16.
Sikki Reddy and Pranav Jerry Chopra also met a similar fate, losing 16-21 10-21 to sixth seeds Christinna Pedersen and Mathias Christiansen of Denmark.
In the men's doubles, Mannu Attri and B Sumeeth Reddy were outplayed by Chen Hung Ling and Wang Chi-Lin 9-21 10-21.
Recommended For You
- Fans Want to Replace Donald Trump's Star with Carrie Fisher's on Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Jeff Bezos Sees Lunar Ice Reservoir as Potential Rocket Fuel Source
- Xiaomi Accused of 'Stealing' Artwork Sanctioned for Use by LG
- Priyanka Chopra Shows How to Slay in a Flame Shirt-dress this Summer
- Varun Dhawan, Dhanush Express Sadness After Shikhar Dhawan Ruled Out of ICC World Cup 2019
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s