Ranchi Pulls Out, Bhubaneswar Likely to Host Asian Athletics Championships
With the Jharkhand government expressing its inability to host the Asian Athletics Championships in Ranchi in June, Bhubaneswar has emerged as the front-runner to stage the continental event.
A general view of an athletics track. (Getty Images)
New Delhi: With the Jharkhand government expressing its inability to host the Asian Athletics Championships in Ranchi in June, Bhubaneswar has emerged as the front-runner to stage the continental event.
A team of Athletics Federation of India (AFI) officials made an inspection visit of Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar recently to find out the condition of the venue.
The AFI secretary C K Valson said that the final host venue will be known in a couple of days.
"The Odisha government has expressed its willingness to host the Asian Championships and we have made an inspection of the Kalinga Stadium there," Valson told PTI on Sunday.
"We will know Odisha government's final decision whether they will host the event or not on Tuesday," he added.
The Asian Athletics Championships was to be held from June 1-4 in Ranchi but the Jharkhand capital has pulled out of hosting the event.
"The Jharkhand government has some issues on spending the required funds for the Asian Championships. They have told us this," Valson said.
India has hosted the event earlier on two occasions -- in New Delhi (1989) and Pune (2013).
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Hard to Find a Corner to Relax - Djokovic Concerned About 'Big Brother' Cameras
- Cristiano Ronaldo Pleads Guilty to Tax Fraud at Madrid Court, Accepts Suspended Sentence
- Nissan Kicks Compact SUV Launched in India for Rs 9.55 Lakh, to Rival Hyundai Creta and Mahindra XUV300
- How a Group of Muslims are Feeding TSA as US Government Shutdown Continues For 32nd Day
- Samsung to Stop Making Flagship Phones in India, Protesting Phased Manufacturing Programme
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s