Real Madrid Defender Pepe Bound for China: Report
Real Madrid's 33-year-old central defender Pepe will join Chinese Super League side Hebei China Fortune when his contract expires at the end of June, according to a Spanish media report on Wednesday.
File photo of Portuguese defender Pepe
Madrid: Real Madrid's 33-year-old central defender Pepe will join Chinese Super League side Hebei China Fortune when his contract expires at the end of June, according to a Spanish media report on Wednesday.
The Portuguese international, who turns 34 in February, has so far resisted offers of a new deal to remain in the Spanish capital, reports Xinhua.
Spanish radio station Cadena Cope said he has been offered 15.5 million euros (around $17 million) a season, around three times his current earnings, to move to China.
The chance to join Hebei China Fortune would be made more attractive by the fact that the club is currently being coached by Manuel Pellegrini, who was his coach at Real Madrid during the 2009-2010 season.
Pepe is currently sidelined from action in Spain by a calf injury which he picked up in December and which has kept him out for over a month.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg is Defending Free Speech; Yes, You Read That Right
- Lebanon Thought Charging For WhatsApp is a Good Idea, But Citizens Vented Their Anger
- Alexa, Pay my Mobile Bill: India Gets Amazon Pay And Alexa Payments Feature First
- Only 4 Teams Turn Up as Goa Football Association Conducts Players Draft for Indian Women's League Qualifiers
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works