Safarova Dodges Rain to Ease Into Second Round
Safarova, the runner-up to Serena Williams last year at Roland Garros, registered an easy 6-0, 6-2 victory against Vitalia Diatchenk in a first-round match.
Safarova, the runner-up to Serena Williams last year at Roland Garros, registered an easy 6-0, 6-2 victory against Vitalia Diatchenk in a first-round match. (Getty Images)
Lucie Safarova of the Czech Republic has closed out a comfortable 6-0, 6-2 win against Vitalia Diatchenko, getting back to the warmth of the locker room just as rain picked up again at the French Open and forced the cancellation of all remaining matches on Sunday.
The runner-up to Serena Williams last year at Roland Garros made light work of the Russian ranked 210 spots below her.
Safarova didn't let a mid-match rain delay of nearly three hours throw off her rhythm. The 11th seed closed out the first-round match as umpires on other courts were pulling players off court again for more rain.
Organisers announced that because players were sliding on the tramlines, it was too risky for them to continue and that play wouldn't resume before Monday morning.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Here's How Kartik Aaryan Reacted to Jemimah Rodrigues Dancing on Haan Main Galat
- Have Told Aditya Narayan to Marry Neha Kakkar but He Ignored, Says Udit Narayan
- Pink Floyd's Roger Waters Recites Indian Poet Aamir Aziz's 'Sab Yaad Rakha Jayega'
- The Earth Has a Second Moon, And No One Noticed All This While
- Hotstar Hammered With 1-star Ratings After it Censored John Oliver’s Episode on PM Modi