Safarova, Stosur Enter Prague Open Final
Safarova ousted defending champion Karolina Pliskova 6-4, 7-6 (4), while Stosur advanced on a walkover after top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova withdrew due to an injury.
Safarova ousted defending champion Karolina Pliskova 6-4, 7-6 (4), while Stosur advanced on a walkover after top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova withdrew due to an injury. (Getty Images)
Prague: Second-seeded Lucie Safarova and fourth-seeded Sam Stosur advanced to the Prague Open final on Friday.
In an all-Czech semifinal of two former top-10 players, Safarova defeated defending champion Karolina Pliskova 6-4, 7-6 (4).
Safarova trailed 4-1 in the second set. Pliskova saved two break points at 5-5, the first one with one of her nine aces, but Safarova converted her first match point with a forehand winner to beat Pliskova for the second time after three losses.
Safarova didn't win a singles this season before claiming four in a row in Prague. She'll be seeking her seventh WTA title.
Stosur, who has eight career titles, advanced on a walkover after top-seeded Svetlana Kuznetsova could not play their semifinal due to an abdominal muscle problem.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Meet the Real 'Basement Dwellers' in South Korea Depicted in Oscar-Winning 'Parasite'
- Kartik Aaryan and Sara Ali Khan's Love Aaj Kal Slips at Box Office on Day 2, Earns Rs 20.41 cr
- Bigg Boss 13 Runner-up Asim Riaz Shares How Himanshi Khurana is Special to Him
- When Ranveer Singh and Madhuri Dixit Matched Steps on 'Chane ke khet mein'
- Samsung Galaxy S20, S20 Plus, S20 Ultra India Price Announced: Here Are All The Details