Sathiyan Gnanasekaran Reaches Last 16 of ITTF World Cup With Two Wins in Group Matches
ITTF World Cup: Sathiyan Gnanasekaran defeated Frenchman Simon Gauzy and Groth Jonathan of Denmark to reach the Round of 16.
File photo of Sathiyan Gnanasekaran. (Photo Credit: @sathiyantt)
Chengdu (China): India's Sathiyan Gnanasekaran won both his group matches against higher-ranked opponents to enter the round of 16 in the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF) Men's World Cup here on Friday.
The world number 30 Sathiyan defeated Frenchman Simon Gauzy, ranked eight places above him, 4-3 in an energy-sapping first match before a 4-2 win over world number 24 Groth Jonathan of Denmark.
The Indian topped top group D standings with four points to book a pre-quarterfinal berth.
In his first match of the day against Gauzy, Sathiyan was down two sets but made an impressive recovery to win the match 11-13, 9-11, 11-8, 14-12, 7-11, 11-5, 11-8.
Against Jonathan, the top Indian paddler dominated the match with and scored an 11-3, 12-10, 7-11, 16-14, 8-11, 11-8 win.
The round of 16 matches will be played on Saturday.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Inside Edge 2 Review: The Game Gets Murkier and More Thrilling
- Why Do We Need a Judiciary in Place When We Have Real-life 'Singhams'?
- Vikas Gupta Confirms Entry in Bigg Boss 13 with New Instagram Post?
- India vs West Indies | Our Responsibility is to Support Rishabh Pant: Virat Kohli
- I-League 2019-20: NEROCA FC Host Northeast Rivals Aizawl FC in First Home Game