Singapore Super Series: PV Sindhu, Sai Praneeth Enter Quarter-Final
Top Indian shuttlers P V Sindhu and B Sai Praneeth advanced to the quarterfinals of the USD 350,000 Singapore Super Series after posting hard-fought victories in the women's and men's singles respectively here.
PV Sindhu. (Getty Images)
Singapore: Top Indian shuttlers P V Sindhu and B Sai Praneeth advanced to the quarterfinals of the USD 350,000 Singapore Super Series after posting hard-fought victories in the women's and men's singles respectively here.
Rio Olympic silver medallist, Sindhu, who clinched the India Open earlier this month, had to toil hard before prevailing 19-21 21-17 21-8 over Indonesian World No. 27 Fitriani Fitriani in a match that lasted an hour at Singapore Indoor Stadium.
Sindhu will take on the the winner of the match between Chia Hsin Lee and Carolina Marin.
Praneeth, who reached the finals at Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold in January, produced a gritty performance to see off China's Qiao Bin 21-15 21-23 21-16 in an hour and 12 minutes.
The World No. 30 Indian Praneeth will clash with eighth seeded Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk of Thailand next.
B Sumeeth Reddy and Ashwini Ponnappa, who reached the finals at Lucknow in January, eked out a thrilling 17-21 21-17 21-16 win over Korean pair of Jae Hwan Kim and Lee So Hee to also reach the quarterfinals.
The Indian pair will take on third seeded Chinese combo of Lu Kai and Huang Yaqiong.
Recommended For You
- Not That Milkha: Farhan Akhtar, Twitter School Mamata Govt Over Wrong Photo in Textbook
- #SOSKerala: Searching for Rescue and Relief in Kerala? News18 Can Arrange for Help
- Adil Hussain Bags Best Actor at Norway's National Awards
- Mallika Dua to Go on Midnight Misadventures With Celebrities
- How Hindustan’s Vajpayee Became India’s Prime Minister: In Memoriam by a Millennial