Stefanos Tsitsipas Wins at Swiss Indoors to Set up Semi-final against Roger Federer
Stefanos Tsitsipas defeated Filip Krajinovic in three sets to set up a semi-final clash against Roger Federer in the Swiss Indoors.
Stefanos Tsitsipas (Photo Credit: Reuters)
Basel: With Roger Federer getting an unexpected day off Friday, his next opponent Stefanos Tsitsipas had to work hard to advance to the Swiss Indoors semifinals.
Third-seeded Tsitsipas rallied to beat Filip Krajinovic 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 in the quarterfinals, clinching when the 46th-ranked Serbian sent a service return long.
Tsitsipas was the main attraction Friday at Federer's home town tournament after an all-Swiss quarterfinal became a walkover for Federer due to Stan Wawrinka withdrawing with a back injury.
Top-seeded Federer is seeking a 10th career title at Basel.
The other semifinal will pair unseeded Reilly Opelka and wild-card entry Alex de Minaur.
Big-serving Opelka sent down 31 aces in beating fourth-seeded Roberto Bautista Agut 6-3, 3-6, 6-3. The 37th-ranked American hit five of these aces consecutively to clinch the first set after trailing 0-40 with a 5-3 lead.
The 20-year-old de Minaur advanced past Jan-Lennard Struff 6-4, 7-6 (4).
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Amitabh Bachchan Posts His Bed-ridden Photograph, Says Body is Giving a Signal to Slow Down
- Davis Cup: AITA Stays Firm as ITF Seeks India's View after Pakistan Appeal Against Change of Venue
- Tejashwi Yadav Celebrates Birthday in Chartered Plane, Draws Flak on Internet
- PUBG Mobile Club Open 2019: Entity Gaming and SouL Qualify For Global Finals
- WhatsApp Rivals Signal or Telegram Can Also be Hacked And You Should be Worried