Stosur, Zhang Win Australian Open Women's Doubles Title
Unseeded pair Samantha Stosur and Zhang Shuai took out the Australian Open women's doubles title on Friday to be crowned Grand Slam champions at Melbourne Park for the first time.
Twitter/ Getty Images
Melbourne: Unseeded pair Samantha Stosur and Zhang Shuai took out the Australian Open women's doubles title on Friday to be crowned Grand Slam champions at Melbourne Park for the first time.
The Australian-Chinese combination battled past Hungarian-French second seeds Timea Babos and Kristina Mladenovic -- last year's champions -- 6-3, 6-4 on Rod Laver Arena.
"Today, it is a dream true for me," said Zhang, who won her first Grand Slam doubles title.
Stosur added: "Shuai, it is always a pleasure being on court with you, we have a great friendship."
It was their maiden Slam crown as a team, although Stosur had previously won the 2005 US Open and 2006 French Open in a partnership with Lisa Raymond that earned them 20 titles altogether.
En route to the title, Stosur and Zhang knocked out reigning French Open and Wimbledon champions Barbora Krejcikova and Katerina Siniakova.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Watch: Zoo Shares First Glimpse of Kiki, a Baby Red Panda
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso Mini SUV Officially Teased Ahead of September 30 Launch: Watch Video
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough