Sumit Nagal Stuns Top Seed Blaz Kavcic, To Face Yuki Bhambri in Semis
India's unseeded Sumit Nagal shocked top seed Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia to book a semifinal clash with compatriot Yuki Bhambri in the Bengaluru Open ATP Challenger event.
File Image of Sumit Nagal. (Getty Images)
Bengaluru: India's unseeded Sumit Nagal shocked top seed Blaz Kavcic of Slovenia to book a semifinal clash with compatriot Yuki Bhambri in the Bengaluru Open ATP Challenger event.
Kavcic was tipped to win the quarterfinal tie but Sumit outplayed him in straight sets 6-3 6-4 at the KSLTA Stadium.
In the semifinals, Sumit will face Yuki who defeated compatriot Prajnesh Gunneswaran 7-5, 6-2 in another quarterfinal match of the USD 100,000 tournament.
Asked about the semifinals, Yuki said, "It does not really matter whom I am playing in the semifinals. I will just focus on my game."
Yuki had beaten Spain's Pedro Martinez 6-2, 7-6 yesterday to enter the quarterfinals.
In another quarterfinal match, Tsung-Hua Yang of Chinese Taipei defeated Frenchman Antoine Escoffier 6-4, 6-4 to set up a semifinal clash with Great Britain's Jay Clarke who beat Croatian Ante Pavic 6-2, 4-6, 7-6.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- ‘Why Traffic Jams?’: Twitter Comes to a Halt after BJP MP Dismisses Automobile Slowdown
- 'Black Friday': Italian Newspaper Sparks Race Row With Front Page Headline on Lukaku, Smalling Clash
- I-League 2019-20: NEROCA FC Host Northeast Rivals Aizawl FC in First Home Game
- Reliance Jio vs Airtel vs Vodafone Idea: All The New Prepaid Plans Compared
- Major WhatsApp Dark Mode Update: Does Your Phone Run Android 9 or Older OS?