Swimming Coach Accused of Raping National Junior Gold Medallist Brought to Goa
Goa swimming coach Surajit Ganguly has been accused of raping a 15-year-old girl training under him.
Kiren Rijiju assured that strict action will be taken against Surajit Ganguly. (Photo: Twitter)
Panaji: Swimming coach Surajit Ganguly, accused of raping a 15-year-old girl training under him, was brought to Goa late on Saturday night after the state police was granted three-day transit custody of the accused by a Delhi court.
Ganguly, who had been on the run since the case was registered, was arrested from the Kashmiri Gate area in New Delhi on Friday.
"The accused was produced before Tis Hajari court in New Delhi which remanded him in a three-day transit remand of Goa police Saturday noon," deputy superintendent of police, Gajanan Prabhudesai, told PTI.
Ganguly was employed with the Goa Swimming Association when the alleged incident took place in Mapusa.
The father of the girl had approached Rishra police station in Hooghly district of West Bengal against Ganguly, a senior police officer had said.
He said the police had obtained a complaint from West Bengal police via e-mail and registered an FIR.
Ganguly has been booked under section 506 (Punishment for criminal intimidation) of the Indian Penal Code (IPC) and various sections of the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act and Goa Children's Act.
Recommended For You
- Plumber's Re 0 Invoice for 91-Year-Old Ill Woman Earns Him Praises on Internet
- Priyanka Chopra Admits Having a Baby With Nick Jonas is on Her 'To-Do-List'
- Cristiano Ronaldo Says He Deserves to Win More Ballon d’Or Awards Than Messi
- Champions League: Unlucky Borussia Dortmund Draw 0-0 With Barcelona on Messi Return
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022