Top Seed Simona Halep Out of St Petersburg With Injury
Top seed Simona Halep pulled out of the St Petersburg Trophy on Friday because of a persistent knee injury, propelling a Russian wildcard into the semi-finals.
Simona Halep. (Getty Images)
Saint Petersburg: Top seed Simona Halep pulled out of the St Petersburg Trophy on Friday because of a persistent knee injury, propelling a Russian wildcard into the semi-finals.
"I'm really disappointed that I had to withdraw from the quarter-final today, but my knee is not okay," the Romanian Halep, ranked fourth in the world, said.
"After my last match I felt pain and I feel it's risky to continue here."
Halep, who enjoyed an opening-round bye, beat Croatia's Ana Konjuh in the second round in St Petersburg.
The 25-year-old Halep crashed out of last month's Australian Open in the first round and again cited a sore knee.
"I've had a great time at St Petersburg. The city and the tournament are beautiful and I look forward to coming back here and hopefully next time I will be better on court and also be healthy," Halep added.
Halep's withdrawal saw Russia's 19-year-old wildcard Natalia Vikhlyantseva advance to the semi-finals, where she will meet either defending champion Roberta Vinci of Italy or France's Kristina Mladenovic.
Recommended For You
- Vinod Khanna's First Wife Geetanjali Passes Away at the Age of 70
- The Kapil Sharma Show: Salman Khan and Ranveer Singh Can't Stop Laughing in the New Promo
- WATCH | Runs Made When Team Loses Shouldn't Count: Gambhir
- Karan Johar, Ayushmann Khurrana, Vicky Kaushal Look Dapper as the Trio Suit-up for Koffee With Karan
- Tech And Auto Awards 2018: Motorcycle Of The Year
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s