Top Seed Simona Halep Out of St Petersburg With Injury
Top seed Simona Halep pulled out of the St Petersburg Trophy on Friday because of a persistent knee injury, propelling a Russian wildcard into the semi-finals.
Simona Halep. (Getty Images)
Saint Petersburg: Top seed Simona Halep pulled out of the St Petersburg Trophy on Friday because of a persistent knee injury, propelling a Russian wildcard into the semi-finals.
"I'm really disappointed that I had to withdraw from the quarter-final today, but my knee is not okay," the Romanian Halep, ranked fourth in the world, said.
"After my last match I felt pain and I feel it's risky to continue here."
Halep, who enjoyed an opening-round bye, beat Croatia's Ana Konjuh in the second round in St Petersburg.
The 25-year-old Halep crashed out of last month's Australian Open in the first round and again cited a sore knee.
"I've had a great time at St Petersburg. The city and the tournament are beautiful and I look forward to coming back here and hopefully next time I will be better on court and also be healthy," Halep added.
Halep's withdrawal saw Russia's 19-year-old wildcard Natalia Vikhlyantseva advance to the semi-finals, where she will meet either defending champion Roberta Vinci of Italy or France's Kristina Mladenovic.
Recommended For You
- Shooter Saurabh Chaudhary Donates Youth Olympics Gold-clinching Pistol to IOC Museum
- Dope Violation: NADA Bans Hockey Goalie Chikte for Two Years, 4-year Suspension for Six Others
- Avengers 4: Is This Iron Man's Weapon to Defeat Thanos? See Leaked Pic
- Thugs Of Hindostan: Aamir Khan Treats Fans With a New Poster on Dussehra
- Avengers 4: Thor and Captain America's Revamped Look Leaked