US Open 2017: Venus, Sharapova Victories Highlight Day 1 Action
Highlights from day one of the U.S. Open tennis championships on Monday
Venus Williams. (Getty Images)
Highlights from day one of the U.S. Open tennis championships on Monday (all times GMT):
0605 ZVEREV DOWNS KING IN STRAIGHT SETS
- Fourth-seed Alexander Zverev had to battle hard in a gruelling first set tiebreak against qualifier Darian King, but the German found his rhythm in time to win their first-round encounter 7-6(9) 7-5 6-4 in just under three hours.
0300 CIBUKKOVA SURVIVES CEPELOVA SCARE
- Slovakia's Dominika Cibulkova, the women's 11th seed, had a slow start against unseeded compatriot Jana Cepelova, losing the first set in a tiebreak, but fought back to win the match 6-7(5) 6-3 6-2.
0250 SHARAPOVA STORMS PAST HALEP
- Maria Sharapova marked her return to grand slam action with a 6-4 4-6 6-3 first-round victory over second seed Simona Halep in a match that lasted 2 hours and 42 minutes.
- Sharapova extended her head-to-head advantage over world number two Halep to 7-0.
- The 30-year-old Russian, who returned from a 15-month doping ban in April, recorded her first victory over a top 10 player since beating Petra Kvitova in the Fed Cup final in November 2015.
SHOWCASE-Sharapova sparkles on return to grand slam stage
Tomic 'not the smartest' after U.S. Open flop
Wozniacki rolls through first round
Konta falls as Krunic delivers first shock
Cilic wins Tennys match to reach second round
Mats point: New faces to emerge at U.S. Open
Muguruza powers past Lepchenko in opener
Kvitova wears down Jankovic to reach round two
0016 WOZNIACKI MARCHES INTO ROUND TWO
- Fifth seed Caroline Wozniacki kicked off her campaign with a 6-1 7-5 first-round victory over Mihaela Buzarnescu of Romania.
- Two-times runner-up Wozniacki aims to go one better on her 11th appearance at the Flushing Meadows.
2235 QUERREY EASES PAST SIMON
- American Sam Querrey booked a place in the second round with a 6-4 6-3 6-4 victory over France's Gilles Simon.
- Querrey, who reached his first grand slam semi-final at Wimbledon earlier this year, registered 31 winners and claimed 20 off 27 points at the net on his way to victory.
2215 MULLER KNOCKS OUT TOMIC
- Wimbledon quarter-finalist Gilles Muller fired 27 aces on his way to a 3-6 6-3 6-4 6-4 first-round victory over Australian Bernanrd Tomic.
2150 HOME FAVOURITE VENUS SURVIVES KUZMOVA SCARE
- Ninth seeded American Venus Williams beat Slovakian qualifier Viktoria Kuzmova 6-3 3-6 6-2 to reach the second round.
- Twice champion Venus preserved her personal record of never losing in the opening round of the U.S. Open in 19 appearances.
2125 STEPHENS EASES PAST VINCI
- American Sloane Stephens reached the second round with a 7-5 6-1 win over 2015 finalist Roberta Vinci of Italy.
2105 SHAPOVALOV OFF TO FLYING START
- Canadian Denis Shapovalov beat Russian Daniil Medvedev 7-5 6-1 6-2 in the first round to claim his first ever grand slam main draw win.
2015 KRUNIC STUNS KONTA
- Serbian Aleksandra Krunic fought back from a set down to clinch a 4-6 6-3 6-4 victory over seventh seeded Briton Johanna Konta.
- Wimbledon semi-finalist Konta struggled to find her touch for the majority of the match, landing only 45 percent of her first serves. She also finished with a disappointing tally of 42 unforced errors.
1945 AMERICAN ISNER THROUGH
- Big-serving American John Isner fired 22 aces on his way to a 6-1 6-3 4-6 6-3 first-round victory over France's Pierre-Hugues Herbert.
- Isner will meet South Korean Chung Hyeon in the second round.
1940 CILIC ADVANCES TO ROUND TWO
- Fifth seed Croatian Marin Cilic beat American Tennys Sandgren 6-4 6-3 3-6 6-3.
- Cilic, the 2014 winner, recorded 55 winners and 57 unforced errors to seal a victory after two hours and 47 minutes.
1930 TSONGA STORMS PAST COPIL
- Eighth seed Jo-Wilfried Tsonga produced 38 winners to claim a 6-3 6-3 6-4 first-round victory over Romania's Marius Copil.
- The 32-year-old Tsonga has struggled at the last two grand slam events, losing in the first round at Roland Garros before a third round exit at Wimbledon.
1910 KUKUSHKIN KNOCKS OUT FERRER
- Kazakh qualifier Mikhail Kukushkin beat twice semi-finalist and 21st seed David Ferrer 4-6 6-3 6-2 6-1.
1820 AMERICAN WILDCARD KENIN UPSETS DAVIS
- American Sofia Kenin upsets 32nd seed Lauren Davis 7-5 7-5.
- The 18-year-old wild card reached the second round of a grand slam for the first time in her career.
1647 KVITOVA BATTLES PAST JANKOVIC
- Petra Kvitova beat Serbian Jelena Jankovic 7-5 7-5 to reach the second round.
- The 13th seeded Czech has reached the second round of all three grand slams she has played since returning to action in May, following a lengthy injury layoff.
1620 MUGURUZA EASES PAST LEPCHENKO
- Third-seeded Spaniard Garbine Muguruza beat American Varvara Lepchenko 6-0 6-3 to reach the second round.
1515 PLAY BEGINS AT FLUSHING MEADOWS
Recommended For You
- All Variants of The Apple iPhone XR Get Completely Sold Out on Day One of Amazon Prime Day Sale
- Amazon Prime Day Sale: The Echo Show 5 Goes on Sale For Rs 5,399 And This May be Its Lowest Price Ever
- Realme X Launched in India Alongside Realme 3i: Price, Features, and More
- 'I Should Be Allowed To Play Any Person': Scarlett Johansson Trolled After Comments on 'Casting'
- Amazon Prime Day Sale: Five Best Phones to Buy if you Love Playing PUBG Mobile