US Open 2019: Wang Qiang Shocks French Open Champion Ashleigh Barty
Ashleigh Barty lost to China's 18th-seeded Wang Qiang in the pre-quarterfinals at the US Open.
Wang Qiang beat Ashleigh Barty in straight sets (Photo Credit: Reuters)
New York: China's 18th-seeded Wang Qiang advanced to the US Open quarter-finals on Sunday with a 6-2, 6-4 upset of Australian second seed Ashleigh Barty, the reigning French Open champion.
Wang will face the winner of a later fourth-round match between Croatian 22nd seed Petra Martic and US eighth seed Serena Williams, who is seeking a 24th career Grand Slam title to match Margaret Court's all-time record.
Wang was unsure if she would watch the Williams-Martic match, leaving that duty to her coach, Thomas Drouet.
🚨Upset Alert 🚨
— US Open Tennis (@usopen) September 1, 2019
"I think that's my coach's homework," Wang said. "I just want to enjoy now and my coach will tell me how to play next."
Wang's previous coach had been Peter McNamara, who died in July of prostate cancer.
Barty, who beat Wang twice last year in their only prior meetings, was undone by 39 unforced errors while Wang made only 14.
Wang, who had squandered four match points in a semi-final loss last week at the WTA Bronx tournament, enjoyed solid support at Louis Armstrong Stadium.
"I love New York," Wang said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- 'Bhindi,' Coconut, 'Hing' and Raw Turmeric: Chefs Reveal Their Most Hated Ingredients
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso Mini SUV Officially Teased Ahead of September 30 Launch: Watch Video
- Netizens Troll Sonakshi Sinha After She Fails to Answer Simple Ramayan Question on KBC 11
- Your New Apple iPhone 11 Could Cost As Little as Rs 51,700 With Amazon Preorder Offers
- Do Not Worry, Your Mi TV Will Get Netflix And Amazon Prime Video Apps This Year