US Open Qualifiers: Yuki, Prajnesh Make First Round Exit
India's big hope Yuki Bhambri crashed out of the US Open men's singles qualifiers with a three-set defeat to Japanese Go Soeda while Prajnesh Gunneswaran also suffered a tame defeat
File image of Indian Tennis star Yuki Bhambri. (Getty Images)
New York: India's big hope Yuki Bhambri crashed out of the US Open men's singles qualifiers with a three-set defeat to Japanese Go Soeda while Prajnesh Gunneswaran also suffered a tame defeat here.
Bhambri, who recently beat French World number 22 Gael Monfils, suffered a 6-1 1-6 3-6 defeat at the hands of 22nd seed Japanese in the opening round, which lasted one hour and 44 minutes.
The left-handed Prajnesh, who has been named in Indian Davis Cup team as a reserve, lost 1-6 4-6 to Germany's Yannick Hanfmann in his first round match.
India's hopes to see a singles player competing in the main draw of the last Grand Slam of the season still remained alive with Ramkumar Ramanathan featuring in the bottom half of the qualifying draw.
Ramkumar, now India's number one singles player at 156, faces seasoned Frenchman Paul-Henri Mathieu, who is now placed 213 in the ATP ranking chart.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Sara Ali Khan Shares Glimpses of Her Sri Lankan Getaway with Quirky Captions
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Rs 222 Plan Vs. Airtel Rs 249 And Vodafone Rs 229 Recharge
- Sanya Malhotra Grooves to Ghungroo from War, Sets Dance Floor and Social Media on Fire
- Quinton de Kock's Reaction After Indian Fan Breaches Security to Touch His Feet is Priceless
- Indian Government Procures Hyundai Kona Electric SUV for Senior Officials