It Was Amazing, Couldn't Have Dreamt of Better Grand Slam Debut: Sumit Nagal
Sumit Nagal took the first set off Roger Federer before losing in the first round at the US Open.
Sumit Nagal in action at US Open (Photo Credit: Reuters)
New Delhi: India's Sumit Nagal received a masterclass from Roger Federer after a first-set stunner. No wonder he is on cloud nine following an impressive Grand Slam debut where he stretched the legend to four sets in the opening round of US Open.
Nagal won the first set 6-4 before Federer upped the ante, winning 4-6 6-1 6-2 6-4 against the 190th ranked Indian.
"It felt amazing, could not have asked for a better matchup on my debut Slam and on one of the biggest tennis courts I guess," the 22-year-old Nagal told PTI from New York on Tuesday.
While the capacity crowd at the Arthur Ashe Stadium were rooting for Federer, by the end of two and half hours, Nagal was seen enjoying a bit of fan following as he was asked for autographs and selfies while leaving the arena.
"The crowd was amazing. I enjoyed every moment out there," said Nagal, who came through the qualifying rounds.
On a learning curve, a match against Federer is stuff that dreams are made of, and Nagal is taking away a lot of positives in defeat.
"I learnt a lot from him last night. How to carry yourself, how to control emotions, mixing it (strokes) up," the youngster said.
Recommended For You
- Alia Bhatt Talks About Her Success Mantra, Says 'Don’t Think Creativity can be a Race'
- Maruti Suzuki S-Presso Mini SUV Officially Teased Ahead of September 30 Launch: Watch Video
- Deepak Punia Books Tokyo Olympics Quota After Entering Semis at World Wrestling Championships
- Photos Show How Greta Thunberg's Supporters Grew from Two, to Millions In Just a Year
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough