Wimbledon 2019: Zhang Shuai Beats Caroline Wozniacki to Storm into Last 16 for First Time
Zhang Shuai became the first Chinese woman since 2015 to reach the second week at Wimbledon, after defeating Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets
Zhang Shuai beat Caroline Wozniacki in straight sets (Photo Credit: Reuters)
London: China's Zhang Shuai made the Wimbledon fourth round for the first time on Friday, coming back from 0-4 down in the opening set to beat former world number one Caroline Wozniacki.
Zhang, the world number 60, is the first Chinese woman since Peng Shuai in 2015 to reach the second week at the All England Club thanks to her 6-4, 6-2 win over the 14th seeded Dane.
Before this year, the 30-year-old Zhang had never won a main draw match at Wimbledon in five attempts.
It was a record which reflected her previous struggles -- she was 0-14 at the Slams until she broke through to the 2016 Australian Open quarter-finals.
On Friday, she fired 26 winners against just eight for Wozniacki and goes on to face either Viktorija Golubic of Switzerland or Ukraine's Dayana Yastremska.
Wozniacki, the 2018 Australian Open champion, has never made it past the fourth round at Wimbledon.
Her affection for the tournament would not have been helped by her unhappiness at what she claimed to be a number of poor calls by the Hawkeye review system.
Recommended For You
- Vidya Balan Rocks 'Desi' Look, Imparts 'Shastron Ka Gyan' in Hilarious Video
- BS-VI Fuel Available at Same Cost as Regular Fuel in Delhi, Prices set to Increase in April 2020
- Concussion Substitutes Likely Make International Debut in Ashes: Report
- Why is The OxygenOS 9.5.9 Not Available For Many OnePlus 7 Pro Users in India Even Now?
- Big Tech Quartet's Antitrust Hearing Highlights Their Sheer Might and Murky Policies