World Cup Qualifiers: Okazaki, Kagawa Score as Japan Crush Thailand 4-0
Leicester City's Shinji Okazaki celebrated his 50th international goal Tuesday as Japan brushed aside Thailand 4-0 to edge closer to a sixth successive World Cup.
Image credit: Getty Images.
Saitama: Leicester City's Shinji Okazaki celebrated his 50th international goal Tuesday as Japan brushed aside Thailand 4-0 to edge closer to a sixth successive World Cup.
Shinji Kagawa gave the hosts the lead in their Asian Group B qualifier with a sharp finish after eight minutes, before Okazaki thundered home a diving header to bring up his half-century in swashbuckling style.
Okazaki's landmark strike, on his 108th Japan appearance, came on 19 minutes in Saitama and effectively killed the contest.
Yuya Kubo and Maya Yoshida added further goals for the Blue Samurai after the break, and Eiji Kawashima saved a late penalty from Kraison Adisak to deny rock-bottom Thailand a consolation.
Japan provisionally took top spot with 16 points from seven games, but Saudi Arabia can move above them on goal difference with victory over Iraq in Jeddah later on Tuesday.
Australia, the reigning Asian champions, are three points behind with three matches left after beating the United Arab Emirates 2-0 at home.
The top two teams from each group qualify automatically for next year's World Cup in Russia.
Recommended For You
- WATCH | Kapil Dev Recollects His Knock of 175 Against Zimbabwe
- Cricket World Cup 2019 | Shoaib Malik & Sania Mirza Hit Back at Twitter Trolling
- Played Pokémon Growing Up? Your Brain May Have a 'Special Region' For It
- Not Your or Rest of World’s Business: Sania Mirza, Veena Mallik Engage in Twitter Spat Post India's Win Over Pakistan
- Biker Saves Three Girls from Eve-Teasing, Shows Importance of Mounted Cams in India
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s