Zlatan Ibrahimovic Dethroned by Andreas Granqvist as Sweden's Best
Zlatan Ibrahimovic's unbroken ten-year run as Sweden's best player came to an end on Monday when FC Krasnodar defender Andreas Granqvist won the country's Golden Ball for 2017.
File Image of Zlatan Ibrahimovic. ( Getty images )
Stockholm: Zlatan Ibrahimovic's unbroken ten-year run as Sweden's best player came to an end on Monday when FC Krasnodar defender Andreas Granqvist won the country's Golden Ball for 2017.
Ibrahimovic, who retired from international football after a disappointing Swedish showing at Euro 2016, dominated the award from 2007 to 2016 and took it 11 times overall. No other player has won it more than twice.
Granqvist, Ibrahimovic's successor as captain, last week led Sweden to a 1-0 aggregate playoff victory over Italy to reach next summer's World Cup finals in Russia.
Sweden's 36-year-old record goal-scorer, who returned from serious knee injury for Manchester United against Newcastle United on Saturday, wasn't left completely empty-handed at the Fotbollsgalan awards, however.
His club performances won him the best attacker prize.
The Diamond Ball for best female player went to Linkoping FC's attacking midfielder Kosovare Asllani, who returned home this season after five years abroad with Paris Saint Germain and Manchester City.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Delhi Cab Drivers Carry Condoms in First-Aid Box and it's Not Just for Safe Sex
- Netizens Troll Sonakshi Sinha After She Fails to Answer Simple Ramayan Question on KBC 11
- Area 51 Raid: Here's How Many People Turned Up, and What Really Happened
- Photos Show How Greta Thunberg's Supporters Grew from Two, to Millions In Just a Year
- Investors and Stock Holders are Celebrating Corporate Tax Cut News, With Memes