Zolani Tete Makes History With Fastest World Title KO
Zolani Tete took just 11 seconds to record the fastest knockout in world championship fight history in Belfast on Saturday night.
Zolani Tete. (Getty Image)
London: Zolani Tete took just 11 seconds to record the fastest knockout in world championship fight history in Belfast on Saturday night.
The South African etched his name into the record books when he flattened countryman Siboniso Gonya with his first punch to retain his World Boxing Organisation bantamweight crown.
Tete floored his opponent with a devastating right hook after just five seconds and the referee stopped the contest officially just six seconds later when it became clear Gonya was out cold.
It is the fastest knockout in a world championship bout, eclipsing the record held by WBO superbantamweight champion Daniel Jimenez who stopped Harald Geier in 17 seconds in 1994.
"I've been preparing so hard for this fight," Tete told the BoxNation television channel. "I knew Gonya wasn't going to last."
Promoter Frank Warren added: "He was gone before he hit the canvas. Tete is something special."
On the same card, local hero Jamie Conlan failed in his attempt to win a world title when the Northern Irishman was stopped in the sixth round by Filipino International Boxing Federation super flyweight champion Jerwin Ancajas in a one-sided contest.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Bigg Boss 13: Devoleena Bhattacharjee Slaps Shehnaaz Gill During A Task
- PUBG Mobile: Payload Mode Lands Today, Here’s Everything You Need to Know
- BCCI Chief Sourav Ganguly Wore His Team Blazer From 19 Years Ago, Fans Go Gaga Over 'Dada Swag'
- In Pics: Malaika Arora Rings in Her 46th Birthday with Arjun Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor
- India vs South Africa | Happy to Make Teams Dance to Our Tunes: Shami