Ever since the internet began to enable businesses, brands have been on a lookout for channels to be able to reach out to its prospects and retain them as users.
Over 205 billion emails exchanged every day, according to a report by The Radicati.
While emails have continued to be ignored by the users and social media seems to have been diluted with only 0.03% of any brand's audience engaging with its posts on Twitter and 0.07% of the audience engaging on Facebook, push notifications emerged as the new and trending channel for brands to reach out to its users and retain or re-engage them. A study by Adweek says that more than 70% of the users value push notifications.
But until web push notifications arrived, the push notifications carried with it a major risk for the brands. It needed an app to be built and be installed in the user's devices for the brands to reach out to them.
While app-development and enablement space accounts to be a $100 billion+ industry with key players as Urban Airship, Kahuna, etc., it gets very tough for any SME to build an app and on the top of it, get the users install the same. Also limited resources on smartphones dissuade users from installing additional apps.
However, with the advent of web push notifications, an app experience can be deployed over a website and the users can choose to subscribe to push notifications and receive updates from any brand without actually installing any app or extension. As of today, web push notifications can be enabled in Chrome, Firefox and Safari browsers which account to a total of 77.4% in browser penetration.
Web push notifications can be used to reach out to the users even when they do not have any website open in the browsers.
These web push notifications hold multiple use cases for any website or business to target, reach or re-engage its users via web push notifications.
Here are 11 effective implementations of web push notifications:
1. Instant News Updates: Send your users instant headline updates or weather updates and re-direct them to your website.
2. Push App Downloads: Encourage your users to download your apps.
3. Retargeting: Send to the visitors who have just been browsing your website or a page - relevant deals.
4. New Products/Updates: Send your users updates on the new products or information you have.
5. Engage repeat customers with discounts: Send your repeat customers a special deal via notification updates & retain them further.
6. Price Alerts: Send to your users personalized price drop alerts.
7. Information on Time-limited Sales/Deals: Send your users instant updates about time limited deals or offers.
8. Local Deals: Send your local users geo-centric deals or offers.
9. Wishlist: Send your users a notification when an item in their wishlist goes on sale.
10. Sold Out Updates: Entice your subscribers with a notification on the products that have been almost sold out and have them checkout it fast.
11. Loyalty Program and Exclusive Offers: Send to your push notifications some exclusive offers and engage them with a loyalty program."
(The author Vipul Garg is co-founder of New Delhi-based LetReach, a web-based SAAS solution to retain and re-engage web traffic using web push notifications)