Another Ransomware Attack in Kerala
It is suspected that the cyber attack has come from overseas.
The main server and a computer of the Mercantile Cooperative bank here were today affected by a 'ransomware' cyber attack, suspected to be from overseas, the police said. "One computer and the main server has been affected by the virus," IG Manoj Abraham, Nodal officer, Cyberdome told PTI. As per the warning on the affected computer screen, the files have been encrypted and if it is to be retrieved, ransom in the form of bitcoin has to be remitted, he said.
It is suspected that the cyber attack has come from overseas. Cyber police, which has begun investigations, said the attack was not serious as bank transactions had not been hit. Some affected files were restored using a backup system, the police said. In a 'ransomware' cyber attack in June this year, six computers of the Southern Railway office here had been hit by the 'WannaCry' virus but there was no data loss.
Watch: Tech and Auto Show | Ep 24 | Honor 7X, TVS Apache RR 310, Volvo XC60 & More
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Gulzar, Poonam Dhillon Attend Khayyam's Prayer Meet; Kapil Sharma Accused of Disrespecting Women
- Meet Dipesh, 18-Year-Old Dancer from Bengal Who's Trying to Put India on World Ballet Map
- New Zealand Cricketers Satterthwaite & Tahuhu Announce Pregnancy
- Samsung Galaxy Note 10, Note 10+ Prices Start Rs 69,990: All The Launch Offers
- Camera That Clicked San Francisco’s Fog Enveloped Golden Gate Bridge is Shutting Down