Facebook Brings Messenger ‘Lite’ to India
Messenger Lite" is a lightweight, fast and simpler version that offers the core features of the app for markets with slower than average internet speeds and a prevalence of basic Android smartphones.
Facebook's Rise in Revenues Despite Privacy Scandal (photo for representation)
In its bid to connect people in markets where mobile internet connections are slow, Facebook on Thursday rolled out the "lite" version of its Messenger app in India. "Messenger Lite" is a lightweight, fast and simpler version that offers the core features of the app for markets with slower than average internet speeds and a prevalence of basic Android smartphones, the company said in a statement.
With a size just under 10MB, Messenger Lite offers the same basic functions as Messenger, enabling users to send and receive texts, photos, links, emojis and stickers. The new app also has voice calling, active now indicator feature, has the ability to view and remove group members and add members to groups.
Messenger Lite was previously rolled out in countries such as Vietnam, Nigeria, Peru, Turkey, Germany, Japan and the Netherlands. The Messenger app on Android has nearly 5,000,000,000 downloads and has been rated four out of five by 46,056,597 users.
Don’t Miss: The Tech And Auto Show – Episode 4
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Priyanka Chopra Will Never Make Music with Nick Jonas
- Karan Johar Addresses Whether Kareena, Alia Getting Paid Equally to Their Male Co-actors in Takht
- Hrithik Roshan-Tiger Shroff's War Stands Tall Over Joker, The Sky Is Pink at Box Office
- Dalljiet Kaur First Contestant to be Evicted from Bigg Boss 13
- ‘Lo Chali Main’: Renuka Shahane Just Had a ‘Hum Aapke Hain Koun’ Moment and Twitter is LOLing