Iran Successfully Tests S-300 Air Defence System
During the test, conducted in the presence of several Iranian military and government officials, the missile system successfully detected, tracked and intercepted a ballistic missile.
Representative image (Reuters)
Iran "successfully" tested the Russian-made S-300 surface-to-air missile defence system, Press TV reported on Saturday.
During the test, conducted in the presence of several Iranian military and government officials, the missile system successfully detected, tracked and intercepted a ballistic missile, the report said.
The test was also aimed at analysing the performance of the S-300 system, assessing the capability of the system in engaging targets with a low radar cross section and ballistic missile threats as well as the ability of Iranian officers to use the system.
Iran purchased the system from Russia and integrated it into the defence system of the country in 2016.
Tehran is now designing and manufacturing an indigenous version of the S-300 system, called Bavar-373, Brig. Gen. Farzad Esmaili, the commander of Iran's Khatam al-Anbiya Air Defence Base, was quoted as saying.
Bavar-373 would be more technologically advanced than S-300 and would be tested "in the near future", he said.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Swara Bhasker Taking Off Her Heels on the IIFA Green Carpet is Basically All of Us
- Inspired by 50s Puppet Show or Just for Appeal? Internet is Wondering What 'Howdy Modi' Means
- Salman Khan Miffed with Ranbir Kapoor's Tentative Film's Title Devil?
- After Burning it Out at The Gym, Disha Patani Slays the Dance Floor with Killer Moves
- Unidentified, Decomposed Body Found at Nagarjuna's Farmhouse in Telangana