Jeff Bezos Tops Forbes List With $100 Bn as Amazon Rises on Shopping Holiday
Bezos owns almost 17 percent of Amazon, which he founded in a Seattle garage in 1994 after quitting a hedge fund job to sell books online.
File photo of Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos. (Image: REUTERS/Andrew Kelly)
Amazon founder Jeff Bezos was a $100-billion man on Monday as the online retail colossus raked in cash from the holiday weekend's cyber shopping spree. Forbes magazine's real-time ranking of the richest people had Bezos on top, with a personal net worth of $100.3 billion. Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates saw his net worth climb to a dizzying $89.4 billion but was relegated to being the second most affluent person on the planet.
Bezos owns almost 17 percent of Amazon, which he founded in a Seattle garage in 1994 after quitting a hedge fund job to sell books online. Amazon shares finished the official trading day up just shy of a percent and inched up a bit more in after-market trades to top $1,200. Based on the share price, Seattle-based Amazon had a market value of some $576.3 billion.
Market tracker Adobe Digital Insights data showed that online shopping was at a record-setting pace from Black Friday into Cyber Monday.
Watch: Tech And Auto Show | EP21 | Apple iPhone X, Suzuki Intruder 150 & More
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Sony Bravia A9G OLED Master Series Review: The TV to Buy If You Are Rich Enough
- Rashami Desai to Marry Boyfriend Arhaan Khan Inside Bigg Boss 13 House: Report
- Arjun Kapoor Trolls Alia Bhatt Over African Safari 'vlog'
- Hours After Decomposed Body Found at Nagarjuna's Telangana Farmhouse, Police Hint at Case of Suicide
- Do Not Worry, Your Mi TV Will Get Netflix And Amazon Prime Video Apps This Year