S.Korean Firms to Invest $9 Billion in 5G Tech in 2018
The companies will make an investment in the coming three or four years to run faster and more stable data processing than the current 4G network, or long-term evolution (LTE).
In a bid to lay a firm foundation for high-end service, South Korean mobile carriers are likely to invest more than $9.36 billion in the fifth-generation network technology in 2018, industry sources said on Monday. The Ministry of Science and ICT and three mobile carries -- SK Telecom Co, KT Corp and LG Uplus Inc -- have plans to start commercial operations of the 5G network in 2019 and build nationwide infrastructure by 2020, Yonhap news agency reported.
The companies will make an investment in the coming three or four years to run faster and more stable data processing than the current 4G network, or long-term evolution (LTE). Their investment into the previous LTE network technology was $5.6 billion in 2010, a year before the official commercialisation and peaked at $7.49 billion in 2012, while investment in this field has been hovering around $4.68 billion per year since 2015.
Market insiders noted that the initial costs of launching a super-high-speed network service are estimated to reach nearly $18.74 billion in 2018, with the first commercial operation just one year away. The amount can be reduced to some extent on money-saving technologies.
Watch: Tech And Auto Show Ep 26 | Toyota Fortuner vs Isuzu mu-X, Hyundai Weekender & More
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Shraddha Kapoor Shares Adorable Throwback Picture of Parents on Their Wedding Anniversary
- Kasautii Zindagii Kay's Sonyaa Ayodhya Marries Harsh Samorre, Erica Fernandes, Harsh Rajput in Attendance
- Anurag Kashyap on Citizenship Amendment Bill: We have Voted for it, We Should Keep Getting it
- Akshay Kumar Pleases Twinkle Khanna by Gifting Her Pair of ‘Onion Earrings’ from Kapil Sharma Show
- Neymar Hits FC Barcelona With Fresh Lawsuit to Demand Unpaid Wages