Telegram Gains 3 Million Users After Facebook Outage
After suffering a massive outage on Wednesday, Facebook and its apps were back in action amid sporadic reports of some users still facing some issues.
Highly-encrypted mobile messaging platform Telegram on Thursday saw a surge in sign ups as Facebook and its other services like WhatsApp, Instagram and Messenger were down for hours. Accroding to a report in TechCrunch, Telegram garnered over three million new users during Facebook's downtime.
"I see three million new users signed up for Telegram within the last 24 hours," wrote Telegram Founder Pavel Durov on his page. After suffering a massive outage on Wednesday, Facebook and its apps were back in action amid sporadic reports of some users still facing some issues.
"Good. We have true privacy and unlimited space for everyone," Durov added. Telegram confirmed to TechCrunch that the Facebook apps' downtime is the likely cause of its latest signup spike. Telegram has over 200 million monthly active users.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Niti Taylor Gets Engaged to Parikshit Bawa, Says She Doesn't Plan to Get Married This Year
- Airtel Forgot About The Home Bundle And Reliance Jio Fiber Has Stolen The March
- Gay Penguin Parents Who Tried to Hatch Stone Get Presented With Real Egg
- Instagram Users Can Report False Content And Expect Fact Checkers to Verify it
- Microsoft Surface Pro 6 and Surface Book 2 Firmware Update Causing CPU Issues