11-Year-Old Girl Set to Become Britain's Youngest Mother: Reports
An 11-year-old girl is set to become Britain's youngest mother with police investigating circumstances of her pregnancy, media reports said.
(Image only for representational purpose)
London: An 11-year-old girl is set to become Britain's youngest mother with police investigating circumstances of her pregnancy, media reports said.
It is believed that the father of the baby is also a minor and that, he could be a few years older than the mother-to-be, The Guardian reported.
Police have launched a probe in the case as the pregnant girl is due to become the UK's youngest mother, it said.
Details of the girl's pregnancy have been withheld due to legal restrictions.
The local authority is reportedly seeking strict reporting restraints in the high court, the report said.
A 12-year-old girl is currently the UK's youngest mother. She gave birth to a baby girl in 2014 when the father of the baby was 13; the lowest combined age of any British parents.
The number of teenagers giving birth has reached its lowest level in almost 70 years, official figures show.
According to the Office for National Statistics, 25,977 women aged 19 and under had babies in England and Wales in 2016 - about the same levels last recorded in 1946 when 24,816 children were born.
While teenage pregnancy has dropped, official figures reveal that the average age of mothers giving birth last year had risen to its highest at 30.2 years.
Recommended For You
- Royal Wedding: 5 Things You Probably Didn't Notice at Prince Harry and Meghan Markle's Nuptials
- Watch: Madhuri Dixit & Renuka Shahane Dancing on Lo Chali Main Will Give You Major '90s Nostalgia
- Royal Wedding: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle Drives Jaguar E-Type Zero to Reception [Video]
- Arjun Reddy Remake: Did Shahid Kapoor Just Find His Leading Lady in This Student Of The Year?
- Munna Bhai 3: Rajkumar Hirani Confirms Working on Threequel But Wait, It's Not Munna Bhai Chale America