11-Year-Old Girl Set to Become Britain's Youngest Mother: Reports
An 11-year-old girl is set to become Britain's youngest mother with police investigating circumstances of her pregnancy, media reports said.
(Image only for representational purpose)
London: An 11-year-old girl is set to become Britain's youngest mother with police investigating circumstances of her pregnancy, media reports said.
It is believed that the father of the baby is also a minor and that, he could be a few years older than the mother-to-be, The Guardian reported.
Police have launched a probe in the case as the pregnant girl is due to become the UK's youngest mother, it said.
Details of the girl's pregnancy have been withheld due to legal restrictions.
The local authority is reportedly seeking strict reporting restraints in the high court, the report said.
A 12-year-old girl is currently the UK's youngest mother. She gave birth to a baby girl in 2014 when the father of the baby was 13; the lowest combined age of any British parents.
The number of teenagers giving birth has reached its lowest level in almost 70 years, official figures show.
According to the Office for National Statistics, 25,977 women aged 19 and under had babies in England and Wales in 2016 - about the same levels last recorded in 1946 when 24,816 children were born.
While teenage pregnancy has dropped, official figures reveal that the average age of mothers giving birth last year had risen to its highest at 30.2 years.
Recommended For You
- Abbas's Five-for, Zaman & Ali Half-centuries Put Pakistan on Top in Abu Dhabi
- OnePlus 6T Launch Event Ticket Sale: Here is How You Can Buy One
- ISL 2018/19: Delhi Dynamos and ATK Eye First Win of the Season
- Xiaomi Mi TV 4A Pro 49 Review: We Are Rubbing Our Eyes, This Just Cannot be Real
- Samsung Galaxy W2019 Listed on TENNA Will Have Two 4.2-Inch Screens, 3,000mAh Battery