1-MIN READ

2 Women Drop Sex Abuse Case Against Nobel Laureate and Costa Rica Ex-president Oscar Arias

Nobel Peace Prize laureate and two-time Costa Rican President Oscar Arias looks at the media during the opening ceremony of the XV World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates at the University in Barcelona, Spain. (Reuters)

Nobel Peace Prize laureate and two-time Costa Rican President Oscar Arias looks at the media during the opening ceremony of the XV World Summit of Nobel Peace Laureates at the University in Barcelona, Spain. (Reuters)

The decision to drop the complaints means that a court could drop the charges, given that it appears prosecutors have no other evidence to rely on in the case.

Two women who had lodged sexual abuse complaints against Nobel Peace Prize laureate and two-time Costa Rican President Oscar Arias have withdrawn those complaints.

The prosecutors office said Monday that the two victims decided not to continue the criminal process.

The decision to drop the complaints means that a court could drop the charges, given that it appears prosecutors have no other evidence to rely on in the case.

There was no immediate explanation for the victims’ decisions.

Rafael Rodrguez, a lawyer for former Miss Costa Rica Yasmn Morales, who filed one of the complaints, said he could not comment on the decision to drop it. Rodriguez simply said for us, this is over on the legal level.

The other woman did not respond to text messages seeking comment. In 2019, Arias met with prosecutors to give a statement in the two criminal complaints against him which alleged sexual assault and sexual abuse in 2014 and 2015.

The 1987 Peace Prize winner denied the first accusation when it surfaced earlier that year.

Next Story
Loading