5 Soldiers, 47 Militants Killed in Sinai, Says Egyptian Government
Egypt has been battling Islamic militants in Sinai for years but the area remains concealed for journalists and diplomats to be independently validated.
Image for representation. (REUTERS/Amr Abdallah Dalsh)
Cairo: Five soldiers and dozens of militants were killed in recent clashes in the country's restive northern Sinai Peninsula, says Egyptian government.
Military spokesman Tamer al-Rifai issued a statement on Thursday stating that the five slain troops included an officer. He said, “Four were wounded and as many as 47 militants were killed.” The statement didn't specify when the clashes took place. The last update on Sinai released by al-Rifai was on March 11.
The statement says scores of militant hideouts and much ammunition and bombs were uncovered. It claims that the bombs were safely detonated by the Egyptian forces.
Egypt has been battling Islamic militants in Sinai for years. The area remains off limits for journalists, diplomats and other observers so information from there cannot be independently verified.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Hrithik Roshan Gives Back to Tiger Shroff's Krrish Meme by Sporting Flying Jatt T-shirt
- Zareen Khan Recounts Casting Couch Horror, Says Director Asked Her to 'Rehearse Kissing Scene'
- Priyanka Chopra Admits Having a Baby With Nick Jonas is on Her 'To-Do-List'
- Nikon Z6 Review: A Strong Statement that Ably Rivals the Sony a7 III
- Tamil Nadu's New EV Policy Seeks Full Road Tax Exemption for Electric Vehicles Until 2022