55 Dead, 36 Injured in Tanker Truck Explosion in Niger's Capital Niamey
The explosion took place as several people were trying to collect petrol leaking from the truck, which had overturned on railway tracks.
Image for representation. (Reuters)
Niamey: Fifty-five people died when a tanker truck exploded near the international airport of Niger's capital Niamey overnight, an interior ministry spokesman said on Monday.
"The toll from the explosion is 55 dead and 36 injured," the official told AFP. "The victims were burnt." Witnesses said people were trying to collect petrol leaking from the truck, which had overturned on railway tracks when the explosion happened.
(Further details are awaited).
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- From Slam Poets to 'Eco-Feminists', BBC's 100 Most Influential Women 2019 List Has 7 Indians
- Akshay Kumar and Housefull 4 Team Go for Early Morning Shooting on The Kapil Sharma Show
- FASTag Will Soon be Mandatory For Your Car: This is How The Digital Payment Tag Works
- Bajaj Chetak Electric Scooter Unveiled: Here's All You Need to Know
- Xiaomi Mi Air Purifier 2C at Rs 6499 Lands Ahead of Peak Pollution Season