6.6-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Indonesia's Sulawesi
A shallow, 6.6-magnitude earthquake hit inland on the central Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Monday, US seismologists said.
Representative image. (Reuters)
Jakarta: A shallow, 6.6-magnitude earthquake hit inland on the central Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Monday, US seismologists said.
The quake hit at a depth of nine kilometres (six miles) at 10:35 pm (1435 GMT), 80 kilometres southeast of the city of Palu, USGS said.
Muhammad Guntur, who lives on the outskirts of Poso, east of the epicentre, said it was felt strongly.
"People are panicking here. We are now all gathered outside of our houses," he told AFP. "The electricity is off here."
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Taking LA Streets by Storm, J Sisters Priyanka Chopra and Sophie Turner go on a Girls Night Out
- Fortnite to Pokemon Go: US Video Game Industry Scored $43.4 Billion Record Sales Last Year
- Karan Johar on Hardik Pandya Controversy: I Feel Responsible Because It Was My Show
- Xiaomi Foldable Phone Teased by Co-Founder Lin Bin: Watch Video
- Black Panther Creates History, Becomes First Superhero Film to Get Best Picture Oscar Nomination
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s