6.6-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Indonesia's Sulawesi
A shallow, 6.6-magnitude earthquake hit inland on the central Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Monday, US seismologists said.
Representative image. (Reuters)
Jakarta: A shallow, 6.6-magnitude earthquake hit inland on the central Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Monday, US seismologists said.
The quake hit at a depth of nine kilometres (six miles) at 10:35 pm (1435 GMT), 80 kilometres southeast of the city of Palu, USGS said.
Muhammad Guntur, who lives on the outskirts of Poso, east of the epicentre, said it was felt strongly.
"People are panicking here. We are now all gathered outside of our houses," he told AFP. "The electricity is off here."
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
Catch the Biggest Newsmakers and the Biggest Newsbreaks on CNN-News18, your favourite English TV news channel. Keep watching CNN-News18 at just 50 Paise per Month. Contact your cable /DTH operator Now!
*Rental / capacity fee of Rs.130/- as charged by cable / DTH operator may apply. **GST extra.
Recommended For You
- Greek Beachfront Escape, Dinner in Mexico, Poop Emoji Plunger: Perks of Being an Oscar 2019 Nominee
- Government to Install Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at Every 25 Km in India
- TRAI’s New Rules For Cable And DTH: Dishtv, Sun Direct and Tata Sky Try to Reduce NCF Burden on Subscribers
- My ‘Idol’ Warne is Helping Me Out a Lot: Kuldeep Yadav
- All is not Well Between Alia Bhatt and Beau Ranbir Kapoor? The Actress Answers
- 01 d
- 12 h
- 38 m
- 09 s