6.6-Magnitude Earthquake Hits Indonesia's Sulawesi
A shallow, 6.6-magnitude earthquake hit inland on the central Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Monday, US seismologists said.
Representative image. (Reuters)
Jakarta: A shallow, 6.6-magnitude earthquake hit inland on the central Indonesian island of Sulawesi on Monday, US seismologists said.
The quake hit at a depth of nine kilometres (six miles) at 10:35 pm (1435 GMT), 80 kilometres southeast of the city of Palu, USGS said.
Muhammad Guntur, who lives on the outskirts of Poso, east of the epicentre, said it was felt strongly.
"People are panicking here. We are now all gathered outside of our houses," he told AFP. "The electricity is off here."
Indonesia sits on the Pacific "Ring of Fire" where tectonic plates collide, causing frequent seismic and volcanic activity.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- In Pics: Taking a Sneak Peek into 13 Reasons Why Season 3, Find Out Who Killed Bryce Walker?
- Yezdi Motorcycles to Make India Entry Soon; Instagram, Website Goes Live
- Bajrang Punia to Get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award 2019
- Instead of Putting Unsold Stuff in a Garbage Dump, Amazon Will Donate it Instead
- Ashes 2019: Ponting Advises Warner to Take Aggressive Route Against Broad