6 Indians Arrested at Airport in Sri Lanka for Attempting to Smuggle Gold Worth 1.7 Crore
The Indians were arrested by Sri Lanka Criminal Investigation Department (CID) officials at the Bandaranaike International Airport in Katunayake, police said.
Colombo: Sri Lankan officials have arrested six Indian nationals at an international airport for attempting to smuggle gold worth over Rs 1.7 crores, police said.
They were arrested by Sri Lanka Criminal Investigation Department (CID) officials at the Bandaranaike International Airport in Katunayake, police was quoted as saying by the Colombo Gazette.
Four Indian nationals were arrested at the departure terminal of the Katunayake airport with 1.06 kilograms of gold. Later, in a separate investigation, two more Indians were arrested at the airport with 1.370 kilograms of gold, the report said.
They were arrested for attempting to smuggle gold worth over Rs 1.7 crore out of the country, it said.
The raid was carried out when the suspects were returning to India after arriving in Sri Lanka on tourist visas.
The police said the suspects were handed over to the Sri Lanka Customs officers at the airport.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Anand Mahindra Wants to Gift a Car to Man Who Took His Mother on India Tour on Scooter
- In Pics: Malaika Arora Rings in Her 46th Birthday with Arjun Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Kareena Kapoor
- Apple Watch Saves Another Life; This Time a Man Who Fell Off a Cliff And Broke His Back
- Reliance Jio All-In-One Rs 222 Plan Vs. Airtel Rs 249 And Vodafone Rs 229 Recharge
- India vs South Africa | Happy to Make Teams Dance to Our Tunes: Shami