At Least 1 Killed, 8 Injured in Bomb Blast in Downtown Kabul: Afghan Official
An explosion in Kabul on Monday killed one person and wounded at least eight people, an Afghan official said.
An Afghan woman reacts after a suicide attack in Kabul on Monday, March 13, 2017. (Photo: AP/Rahmat Gul)
Kabul (Afghanistan): An explosion in downtown Kabul on Monday killed one person and wounded at least eight people, an Afghan official said.
Interior Ministry spokesman Sediq Seddiqi said the explosion did not appear to have been a suicide attack.
Deputy ministry spokesman Najib Danish said the blast appeared to have targeted a minibus carrying a group of employees.
No group has claimed responsibility for the attack, but the Islamic State group has launched multiple recent attacks in Kabul — including the storming of a military hospital last week in which more than 30 people were killed.
Elsewhere, in the southern province of Helmand, 32 people — including four members of the security forces — were freed following a raid on a Taliban-prison. Mohammad Rasoul Zazia, the military spokesman for Helmand, said the raid took place Sunday night in the Nad Ali district.
A Taliban spokesman, Qari Yusouf Ahmadi, confirmed the raid, but said that all 32 prisoners were drug addicts.
The Taliban have expanded their footprint in Helmand recently, and the province has witnessed some of the heaviest clashes between militants and security forces.
Recommended For You
- DeepVeer Wedding: You Can't Miss Deepika's Million Dollar Diamond Ring and Her Smile
- #ThisIsNotConsent: Women Are Tweeting Pictures of their Underwear, and you Should Pay Attention
- Xiaomi Leads Indian Smartphone Market in Q3, But Phone Prices Will Continue to Rise: IDC
- Amazon Split HQ2: What is The Cost of The Investment Heading to Long Island City And Arlington?
- Jawa Motorcycle Returns To India: Shah Rukh Khan Goes Nostalgic, Says 'Grew Up On This'