At least 15 Dead as Three-storey Under Construction Building Collapses in Mali
According to local media reports, the top floor collapsed onto the rest of the building which was already occupied, resulting in the entire structure 'collapsing like a house of cards'.
Bamako: Fifteen people were killed on Sunday when a three-storey building under construction collapsed "like a house of cards" in the Mali capital Bamako, the government and local media reports said.
Twenty-six people were rescued alive from the partially occupied building after it collapsed just before dawn. "Thanks to the determination of the emergency services, a young girl of around four years has just been pulled out of the rubble alive.
"Another survivor (a woman) has just, happily, been extracted by rescuers," the civil protection ministry said. The ministry later said an investigation into the building's owner had been opened.
According to local media reports, the top floor collapsed onto the rest of the building which was already occupied, resulting in the entire structure "collapsing like a house of cards".
Such collapses are common in Mali where buildings are often constructed without planning permission.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, Telegram, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Recommended For You
- Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max Review: More Than Anything Else, The Camera is Truly Pro
- Avengers: Endgame Director Says Cancelling Spider Man Deal was Sony's 'Tragic Mistake'
- Nikon Z6 Review: A Strong Statement that Ably Rivals the Sony a7 III
- This Rescued Deer Keeps Coming Back to the Family Who Saved Him
- Mi Smart Water Purifier Launched in India at Rs 11,999: Here's How it Works