At Least 17 Dead, 120 Injured After Taiwanese Train Goes off Rails
The Puyuma express train was carrying more than 300 passengers to Taitung city when it derailed at 4:50 p.m. in Tungshan.
Photo for representation. (Reuters)
Taipei: Seventeen people were killed and 120 others injured on Sunday after an express train traveling to Taiwan’s southeast coast went off the tracks, officials said.
The Puyuma express train was carrying more than 300 passengers to Taitung city when it derailed at 4:50 p.m. in the rural township of Tungshan, the transportation ministry’s railway administration said in a statement.
The 17 people died of cardiac arrest before they reached the hospital. The remaining injured are being treated in four different hospitals.
The train began its journey in New Taipei City in northern Taiwan. The cause of the accident is being investigated.
Get the best of News18 delivered to your inbox - subscribe to News18 Daybreak. Follow News18.com on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok and on YouTube, and stay in the know with what's happening in the world around you – in real time.
Subscribe to Moneycontrol Pro and gain access to curated markets data, trading recommendations, equity analysis, investment ideas, insights from market gurus and much more. Get Moneycontrol PRO for 1 year at price of 3 months. Use code FREEDOM.
Recommended For You
- Prabhas and Raveena Tandon Dance on 'Tip Tip Barsa Pani' on Nach Baliye 9
- Sophie Turner Dances Arm in Arm with Priyanka Chopra's Mother at Jonas Brothers Concert
- Tata Harrier Dark Edition Details Leaked Ahead of Launch, All-Black SUV Looks Dominating
- RCB Rope in Hesson & Katich for IPL 2020, Sack Kirsten and Nehra
- Android 10 Confirmed to Arrive on All Nokia Smartphones